Google

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Water, Water, Everywhere....

... but not a drop to drink.

When I get home this afternoon I notice that there is water on the counter by the sink. hmmm... that is strange. Did I forget to wipe the counter up after I washed the dog water dish out this morning?? I didn't think I slopped that much water around. I know it has been raining a lot today and I cannot see anything in the ceiling where it would be leaking from. I don't give it much thought.

I am making dinner about 5:30 or so. I hear a dripping sound. I notice that water is dripping in the sink. I thought that I had not turned the faucet off a few moments ago. I go over and turn the faucet handle. Nope they are off. I wipe my hand over the faucet to dry it off. I turn back to the stove and hear it again. Drip. Damn. I can't see where it is coming from so I stop and watch and wait. A few moments later there it is again. It is definitely coming from the ceiling. Fuck! There is a small nail hole near the light fixture that is dripping water.

After watching it for a few minutes, I call my dad. He tells me to call the roofer. So I do. I leave him voicemail and about 10 minutes later he calls back. He is on his way out and will be here shortly. Yipee!!

I am worried that somewhere in the ceiling is a whole puddle of water somewhere just waiting to soak the drywall and come splashing down. The roofer is here about 20 minutes later. He goes into the attic and find the problem quickly. The stink pipe?? (I think that is what he called it, I think it is the vent for the sink, basically) needed a bead of caulk around it as there was a bit of a gap and that is where the water was coming in. He caulked it up and the water stopped.

I was very impressed with how quickly he responded on got out here. Once he found the problem he fixed it and went on his way.

ZOBMONDO!!

Would you rather....

On the job, be accused of stealing

----OR----

sexual harassment?

This is a tough one. Neither option is good. There was a guy I used to work with when I first started at the bank. He was accused of sexual harassment and fired. Two years later he committed suicide by starting himself on fire. That was a gruesome way to go.

2 comments:

Kris said...

I am glad your crisis turned out to be minor.

OMW said...

Glad to hear it was a small problem. I wasn't so lucky, I DID have an entire ceiling drywall panel get wet and crash to the living room floor. I now have a huge hole thru which I can look into the attic. It goes with the hole in the kitchen ceiling when I fell thru from the attic when I was checking out my furnace last fall.