Google

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Some Days I Really Wonder.....

.... what my hubby is thinking. We got up early this morning and wanted to go for a long ride. Last weekend we did a route that was about 35 miles. I wanted to do the same route but I wanted to get it done early before the traffic and heat got bad.

So hubby hauls his bike outside and throws it on the trainer so he can 'work' on it. I thought that he was just going to clean the chain and lube it up. WRONG!! He has two screwdrivers and is messing with his derailleurs. This is not good folks. (For those of you who don't know him... my hubby is not at all mechanical.) I wander over there and ask what he is doing. He says that he is 'fixing' it so that his chain doesn't drop everytime he goes into his big ring. I very nicely ask him if he knows what he is doing. He says that he doesn't but it can't be too hard. Famous last words. He is tightening and loosening screws and cables and such that after a couple of minutes it is really hosed and he can't figure out what he did to mess it up. Now he can't get it to shift at all. Great..... So, I go online and try to see if a couple of sites can offer some suggestions. The same response that I got is that you should not mess with the derailleurs if you don't know what you are doing. They are usually set when the bike is assembled and very rarely need to be tweaked.

By this time, it was about 9:15 and I told him that why don't we just take it to Wheel & Sprocket and have them look at it. Before he does some serious damage. He agrees. So 80 bucks later... he can pick it up on Wednesday. The good thing is that W&S will also fix hubby's 'attempt' at truing his back wheel. It has such a wobble in it.... oh boy...

The best part of it was that I never said to hubby 'I told you so...'. Even tho' I wanted to soooo bad.

4 comments:

AletaR said...

Just get it over and say it..or wait until you have a few beers.

Andrew McAllister said...

That "It can't be too hard" thing? It's genetic. :o)

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay

WhisKeYGyrL said...

Um JO I hear ya!! B is the same way not mechanical either!! My bike "broke" 3 years ago... Ummmm yea still hanging in the garage on the hooks (which I slam my head on everytime I am in the garage by the way) broken!!! I since have given up bike riding and now walk 3-4 miles (with nick) because I can't do anything by myself of course. So sista I feel your pain!!

Kris said...

Dontcha just love it when you are right?