Google

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Was I wrong....

to cut this out of the paper and give it to my sister. This is an article that was originally published in the Monday, April 2nd Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. I read it and thought to myself that this could have been written about my sister and her child rearing skills (or lack of..).

Sis was already a piece of work for Easter today. She sent her kids off to my folks about 11 am and since she didn't have to work went back to sleep or something...She called my parents about noon to tell them that she didn't have to work. My mom then decided to move things up a bit and eat earlier in the afternoon. She told my sister that she wanted to eat about 2:30 or so.

Hubby and I get there about 1:30 or so and unload the boys and food from the car. We go inside to meet Buddy, there new little puppy. He is a white mini Schnauzer and cute as could be. He is about 10 weeks old and about 3lbs. Boomer had a ball playing with him. The boys are totally sacked out sleeping since we got home.

So, 2:30 comes and goes and no sis. Niece, C, calls home to find out where she is and gets no answer. C calls again about 3pm ... no answer... WTF?!?! Sis has a thing when she sleeps she is impossible to wake up. Probably all the pain killers and shit she is on. Finally about 3:25pm, mom calls her and says we are eating at 3:3o no matter if she is here or not. She wasn't. It was about 3:50 when she strolls in and says she was 'tired" and needed to rest because she has a cold. She literally said nothing to me or hubby. She ate about 3 bites of food and left. She had to go back home to rest cuz of her cold. I thought it was very interesting that she left the kids at my parents. WTF?!?! Take them home, they belong to you.... I'm taking my puppies home when I leave you can take your kids.

Ok, back to my original post about the article. I left it sitting on the counter and don't think she even saw it....

You can read the entire article here but I wanted to take a few of the topics and offer my own spin on them.

A top 10 list for raising responsible kids
By Deborah Donaldson
Deborah Donaldson of Wauwatosa is the principal of a media, marketing and public relations firm and the mother of a college student. Her e-mail address is donaldso@execpc.com
Posted: April 2, 2007

With grateful acknowledgment to David Letterman, Moses and the news, here are the top 10 commandments for raising kids, updated for the 21st century.

Commandment No. 10: Thou shalt not indulge my every whim.
I don't need $14 eyebrow waxes or $200-a-week spa treatments. If I'm stressed, take me for a walk or cancel one of my activities. And don't let me guilt you into extravagance. "Sweet 16" on MTV is supposed to be outrageous, not an example of parental love. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. My take.... sis, your kids who are 12, 5 and 4 do not need to go to get their hair colored or get fake nails. I am 38 and don't color my hair.

Commandment No. 9: Thou shalt not spoil me with stuff.
I can live with one or two pairs of shoes; I don't need 10. I don't need $250 jeans, either. I just need clothing that keeps me warm and covers me - including my underwear. Besides, if you buy me everything now, I won't have anything to look forward to. My take.... oldest niece, C, has so many clothes it is scary. Sis bitches at her for not putting her clothes away but she can't when she has so many that there is no room in her closet or dresser for them. I have about 6 pairs of jeans. C has over 20. She is 12?!?! Today was the kicker when she wanted a real Louis Vitton purse. WTF?!?! When do 12 year olds get $800 handbags....

Commandment No. 4: Thou shalt not invoke the "Don't do as I do; do as I say" rule.
If you don't set a good example, your words mean nothing to me. If you stay sober, avoid drugs and have your kids after marriage, then maybe I will, too. Oh, and don't let me leave a heap of clothing in the fitting room. My take.... where do I even start.... you are in violation of all three of those (stay sober, avoid drugs and have your kids after marriage) There is a reason that C is living with my parents. She can't stand living with my sister. I couldn't live in that house either.

Commandment No. 1: Thou shall teach me the unshakable value of personal responsibility.
I must learn that I alone can make a difference if I stop to think before I act and learn to reflect after I make mistakes. Not because you said so but because you taught me it's the right thing to do. My take... another one of where do I start. You are 35 and mom and dad are still paying your rent. Get a real job with benefits and insurance for your kids. Divorce your dirtbag husband who is now back in prison again for parole violations (see ya in another 5 years, you piece of shit)

Not much else to say on this subject... Thanks for letting me rant.

P.S. Easter dinner was actually nice, since Sis wasn't around. The kids were actually well behaved today... Hope every one had an enjoyable holiday.

2 comments:

cosmopolgirl said...

Louis Voutton purse for a 12 yr old??? Can I be adopted from your sister???

There's always one sibling that drives you nuts, the slacker one.....and for those of you thinking that you don't have one....its probably you!!!

Kris said...

Seems like there is always one in the family. Be thankful that although your sister may not acknowledge her lack of parenting skills, that you as a parent realize that there is always something to learn. Maybe next time you could attach the article to a frying pan, and smack her with it?