Google

Monday, June 05, 2006

Trek 100 Recap

On Saturday, hubby and I rode in the Trek 100. Our friend, K, rode with us. So here is a recap of the day in a timeline format.

5:00 am - Wake up and take a shower, let the dogs out and get water bottles, etc ready.

6:15 am - Meet K at the park and ride. She is going to follow us out to WCTC.

7:00 am - arrive at WCTC. Go inside, drop off donations collected and look at stuff to buy. K registers for the 37 mile ride.

7:15 am - get back to truck and unload bikes and get stuff ready to go. Put a map in the back of my jersey. Hubby and K leave there maps behind.

7:40 am - head up to where all the action is. See the racing sausages and listen to a speech by Jon McGlocklin.

7:45 am - first few waves of 100 mile and 100k riders leave the starting gates. We watch and admire the bikes. Try to figure out where the girl who had a pink bike like mine got her pink carbon water cages. I have to get me some of those.

8:15 am - the crowd has thinned out so we decide to leave. It is about 9.5 miles to the first rest stop.

8:25 am - make a turn at one of the streets and notice that all the arrows on the pavement are blue. Our route is supposed to have green arrows. SHIT!! Pull over in a neighborhood and look at the map. I think we are ok. We will just follow the other riders for now and see what happens.

9:00 am - we hit the first rest stop. Go to the bathroom, put on more sunscreen and grab a snack. I find out that those power bars are icky. Check the big map on the wall and find out we are going in the right direction. It starts out that all routes are blue until the split off. WHEW!! Next rest stop is about 6.5 miles.

9:30 am - get to the next rest stop. See an art gallery that has cool prints of the ride for 15 bucks. Make a mental note to stop back and get one. Pee and fill up the water bottles. Realize that my map must have fallen out of my pocket. No big deal. Check the big wall map. Next rest stop is about 9 miles away. Hubby and K are stronger riders so they get ahead of me. I am alone. Thank goodness that I have my iPod to listen to. Gaze at some really nice houses along the way. Think that I need about 3 more jobs to afford these houses.

10:10 am - get to 3rd rest stop. It is at a bar. Pee again and chat with hubby and K. The next rest stop is only 4 miles away and they are going to go ahead of me. I will catch up.

10:35 am - A couple of killer hills. Damn, they were hard. Realize that I have not seen another rider in a long time and damn, this road is really rough. Think to myself, that this is a bit strange. I should have been to the rest stop by now, it was only 4 miles away. Maybe 20 minutes, tops! Round a curve and realize that I am now on Hwy 83 and Hwy 16. Think to myself once again that this is very odd that they put us on such a busy road. FUCK!! now I am sure that I am not going the right way. Ride this down a bit to the Mobil station and call K. Thank goodness I have a cell phone. I am now pissed. I have no map, no clue as to where I am.

10:45 am - Kim calls back. Her and hubby are lost as well. WTF?!?! How did they get lost?? They give me directions to get back to where they were about 1/4 of a mile down the road. Hubby has to portage my bike over this rough terrain and railroad tracks. Somehow we end up on another route. Great - how much futher do we have to go. I am still pissed that I got lost. But think it is funny that hubby and K made the exact same mistake that I did. Since the 37 mile ride did not 'officially' start until 9:30, we think that they just did not have the intersection staffed yet as that was about 1/2 thru the ride. The rest of the route was very well marked and had people staffed at every intersection showing you the right way to go.

11:00 am - Stop at the next rest stop. Figure out that we are now on the 20 mile route and have about 7 miles to go. Thank God we are now on the right track.

11:30 am - get back to WCTC. Pee. Get our socks, eat, get a few (ok, 9 or 10) beers from the Delafield Brewhouse stand. Yummy Blonde honey beer. Buy a shirt, drink more beer. K then discovers that she has been wearing her sports bra inside out all day. Too funny. What a ditz.

1:30 pm - K leaves. She has to go go help her hubby 'cut wood'. Hubby calls P, K's hubby. Tells him that K may be home if she doesn't get lost again. Recap the story for him.

3:00pm - Realize that if we want to go the the Admirals game tonite that we need to leave so that we can get home, nap, shower and get downtown, by 7. We went to the game and seen a losing effort. The best part was after the game was over, one of the Admirals totally clocked a guy from the other team. Why?? Who knows. They got their butt's kicked. Go into the locker room and figure out how to do better next week.

All in all the ride was a great time and will do it again next year. With the company matches I raised over $650. Thanks to everyone who donated money and if you pledged a per mile fee, I need 3 more bucks per mile. Just kidding. It was my fault that I got lost.

Next ride... Janesville Rotary Club's Pie Ride. How cool is that?? You get a long sleeved tshirt and a pie when you finish. We are doing the 30 mile ride for that one. You can bet that we will all have maps and phones on that one.

As a side note - this is at least the 4th or 5th ride (that she will admit to;) that K has gotten lost on. This is why the story is so funny. The very first ride we did with her last summer, we rode 25 miles with her hubby and she did the 45 mile ride or should I say almost 55 miles by time she got lost and back on the right track. A few of you may also remember a few weeks ago when she met us out at Bong for camping and got 'lost'.

No ZOBMONDO today. This post is long enough. Have a good week folks!

2 comments:

Hey Jo said...

To wake up! I don't get up that early during the week.

Hey Jo said...

ohhhh... I forgot about that!! It was too funny.