Google

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tweet This

So, I have posted several times about how Twitter has been an interesting communication vehicle for me. I've met all sorts of people. From Team Challenge to Beer Club. All a very interesting and eclectic group. Some people will definately be good friends.

I follow @NASAKennedy on Twitter. I have followed them for quite awhile now. I loved watching the tweets about the space shuttles and other stuff.

Last week I seen a tweet from them about a NASA Tweetup. A Tweetup is nothing more than a gathering of people who meet up in real life that met on Twitter.



I thought what the heck. Went out to the link and signed up. I even posted that I signed up. Didn't really give it much thought. On Saturday, I got the email that @NASATweetup is following me. Hmm. I wonder if they are following everyone who applied to see what people tweet about and what not. Again, I didn't give it a whole lot of thought.

Until Monday. I get home and check my email and see an email from someone I don't recognize. I don't use that email address for spam and crap so I was curious. I opened it up and read this....

Dear Jo,

Congratulations, your registration has been selected to attend the NASA Tweetup at space shuttle Endeavour's targeted launch April 18-19 at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida! The event will provide you the opportunity to speak with shuttle technicians, engineers, astronauts, and managers, and to experience the launch of space shuttle Endeavour to the International Space Station.

Please read this entire e-mail carefully for instructions on securing your spot and planning your attendance.


It took me a few times of reading it before it sank in.

HOLY CRAP!! I am going to Florida to see the Space Shuttle Endeavour launch. This is the last launch of a space shuttle, EVER!

I get to watch the launch from about 3 miles away which is as close as people can actually be. Any public viewing areas are like 12-15 miles away.

I started watching the hashtag #NASATweetup. I seen a tweet from a girl (from Oklahoma City) who was looking for someone to share a rental car with. I replied back that I was interested. Turns out she has a place to stay for free and we are going to split the cost of the car for the week. That will be a huge cost savings as it is spring break and prices are jacked up sky high in that area. Good thing airfare is so cheap to Orlando.

I had to apply today for my security credentials. That was an interesting process. It will take a day or so for me to be approved.

Stay tuned for further updates on my TweetUp adventure!

1 comment:

Kris said...

I am so EXCITED for you, as a science geek I am definitely jealous too. You will have to take pictures!