Google

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Scary Thought


This morning I was talking with a couple of other women while getting a birthday bagel. 

I asked them if they had been watching the miners being rescued. 

One girl, who is 38, said what miners? 

I replied with "The ones in Chile. They have been trapped there since late August." 

She replied back with "Oh, I don't watch the news."

I asked her if she read the paper either online or in print.

She said that she never read the paper. But she does read People magazine every week.  

I was dumbfounded. How can someone at that age be so, for a lack of a better term, ignorant about the world around them?

I guess I have always loved to read and the newspaper is something that to this day I look forward to reading each evening. I may not always be the most knowledgeable about some topics but I try to at least have an idea of what is going on around me.

Back to the miners. I have been reading the coverage on CNN.com most of the morning.  It is riveting.  I remember being in Las Vegas and getting ready for lunch one day and turned on the TV to catch a bit about the mine collapsing. I remember hearing that they thought the miners may be down there until Christmas time before they could be rescued.  I'm glad that the miners didn't have to wait that long. 

I watched the first miner being brought up last night. It brought tears to my eyes to see how a group of people and a government can work together to achieve something so good.

I'm glad this mining accident has a happy ending.  Most do not.


2 comments:

Kris said...

Some people truly have no problem living in their own ignorance. And by saying she reads People, she is more concerned with gossip columns about frivolous things.

And I was pretty choked up too. It's nice to see that through the tears there is still laughter for these miners. They said humor, just as much as perseverance has been the key to their survival.

OMW said...

admit time.
I do not watch tv.
I do not read paspers.
I didn't iknow about the 9-11 attacks until three days later!!!!!
AND
I have never seen any of the footage.
sometimes ignorance IS bliss