Google

Monday, June 09, 2008

Poker, Bikes and Arks

Once again the weekend has flown past.

Friday, I played poker. Finished 2nd again. Made my money back. I am in third place overall and if it weren't for my dismal start I would be firmly in second place. I am only 3 points behind the second place person. The guy in first place has taken 2 firsts, 3 seconds, and a 5th place. I'm a long way back from that. I am really happy with how I am playing. Laying low early and playing only strong hands. Then when the guys weed each other out, I can start to play more marginal hands and get away with them. I think that even after six weeks, these guys underestimate me. Which is fine by me.

Saturday, dawned warm and humid. Hubby and I rode in the Trek 100 (it is still not to late to donate). It was a good time. We ended up only riding 21 miles. It was a bit too warm out and my ass was no where nearly in shape to be able to ride further than that. We hung around after the ride and drank beer from the Delafield Brewhaus. The Dock Light was yummy and refreshing.

Here is a pic of me before the ride, holding a picture of my cousin, Scott who died last September from cancer at the age of 42. I wore my Vegas jersey for him (his picture was in my pocket of my jersey during the ride) as I knew how much he loved to go there and went at least twice a year. Don't you just love my pink bike :)



We had to cut the day short as severe storms were moving in. The evacuated the area and sent SAG support out to pick up any riders still on the course so that they could get back before the weather hit. We got back to my house about an hour before the storms started. Which was good. Was able to get the dogs out and walked a bit before the deluge. According to my rain gauge, I got a little over 5 inches of rain in less than 3 hours. I emptied it about 8:30 pm and recorded another 1.5 inches more about 6:30 am the next morning. I emptied it again around 9:30 that night and had 3.25 more inches of rain from two storms during the day and early evening on Sunday.

I had to go and get some gutter extensions to help keep the water out and away from the foundation. I only have a little water in the basement. I was happy about that.

Lake Delton in the Dells did not fear as well. The lake is literally gone. The lake had risen about 20 inches and the water made its own channel around the dam and literally emptied the lake. You can see the lake and read more about it here. It is crazy to see the lake bed now, there were even fish flopping around.

Here is a picture from over by where we used to live. I used to ride my bike down this road all the time. There is a little creek that runs through here. Not that you could see that now. There has to be at least 10 feet of water in those fields.

My parents home is blocked in by the water as well. The roads are flooded from the river. They had their sump pump clog up and ended up with about 4 inches of water in the basement. Thank goodness it was all rainwater and not sewage. They are slowing drying out.

That's about all for now. Have a good week.

3 comments:

OMW said...

Hubbala
Hubbala
(Pat) Boomski

Kris said...

You look great in your riding outfit, and even though you only made 21 miles I am sure your brother is smiling from above.

The NL Wife said...

Hope things are drying out up there . . . floods are never fun.