Google

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

....and the winner is....

Well, the elections are finally over. Ended up staying until about 1:30 am waiting for a few of the suburbs to get their stuff in.

I am so glad that I can come home from work tomorrow and not find 6 messages on the machine from various candidates wanting me to vote for them. It was to the point the last few days, I did not even answer the phone just so I did not have to listen to them.

Voting was quite painless. Since I had voted before, I got to go to the head of the line and get my ballot right away. I connected the two parts of the arrow for my choices and away I went. I was literally in there less than 5 minutes. Some of my candidates won, others lost, and some races I did not vote in. I feel that if I did not have the time, inclination or whatever to properly make an informed choice about who to vote for I am better off not voting for that race. It is not a fair thing to do.

There were two referendums on the ballot this year. Both were quite interesting. First one, the death penalty. You never heard much about it. Which is very surprising. I think that it is a good idea. A good example is about 2-3 years ago this guy, who's name escapes me, was released from prison. He was wrongly convicted. DNA evidence proved it. He was in prison for like 18 years. Well about a year or so after he got out he raped, sodomized, killed, dismembered and burned a young women. Now this guy deserves to die for his crime. This was only an advisory referendum so we will see what happens.

The other one is the 'gay' marriage vote. I have to say I voted no. To me is really does not matter. People gay or straight should be able to have the rights. I think of it like this. I have a co-worker who is gay. He is a great guy and we get along fantastic. He and his partner are in a committed relationship and have been for like 10 years. They own a house together. But since their relationship is not recognized they both have to pay for their own insurance and have no legal rights if something should happen to one of them. To me that is wrong. They are more stable and moral than some couples I know. I don't care if they don't call it a 'marriage'... call it a civil union or something. I just think they should have the same rights as hubby and I do.

Ok, I'm done and jumping off my soapbox now. On to other stuff..... my cold has not gone from my lungs to my head. My sinuses are all sorts of plugged up and my nose is contantly running. Maybe someday I will be able to breathe and finally get to work out. My body feels like shit cuz it has been like 3 weeks since I did anything. It was so nice out today and I wanted to get a bike ride in but when you can't breathe it is hard to do much. So I played poker online. Thew last game I played in was great. People play like shit. I have like 2-7o in the big blind. 4 people call. I check. Flop come 7-7-2. Full house. Sweet. I make a nominal raise, kinda like I am trying to steal the pot. 3 people call. Cool. Turn comes a K. One guy raises about 1/2 the pot. I hesitate and call. Someone else calls. River comes a rag. I check. Guy bets pot, othe guy calls, I raise all in. It was only a couple hundred bucks more so what the heck. They both call. I win. Then they bitch that I sucked it out. WTF??! I had them on the flop. I just let you make all my money for me. Similar thing happened when I hit quad Js. Took two people out on that hand. Overall, I was up about 40 bucks today. Not too shabby.

Well... enough of my ramblings... talk to you all later....

No comments: