Google

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Little Free Library

As most of you may know, I am a big reader. I have always liked to read. My library card gets a workout. Now I find myself with more books to read than I have time. As a result, I pay lots of overdue book fines. I was so jealous of my friend, Renee, who was on vacation for three weeks and was able to read over a dozen books. I long for that kind of free time.

Lately, I've noticed that there have been lots of Little Free Libraries popping up around my neighborhood.

What is a Little Free Library? They are little structures that are placed in public places that house books. Their mission is to build more than 2510 libraries around the world and to promote literacy and the love off reading. They are operated on the "leave a book, take a book" principle. I love the concept that books are available for anyone to read and is never closed.

The libraries often are decorated in various themes or styles. Some look like the home where the library resides, some look like schools or churches. You can go to the website and see some them. If you go to the map page, most of the spots on the map have a picture of the library there.

Here is the library on the northwest corner of Oklahoma Ave and Lake Drive in Bay View

Lots of different books in this one

How much is that doggie in the window?
The kitten wants to keep an eye on things as well.


This one is on the southwest corner of Howard Ave and Lipton Ave in St. Francis.

Fairy tale themed


The castle and mermaid

Dragon!


Unicorns too!
I encourage you to find or even build a Little Free Library in your neighborhood. You never know what or who you may find there.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I love this! My daughter says they have them by her best friend's house too.

Renee said...

I love that. How have I never noticed the one at Oklahoma?