Google

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Dads

With Father's day on Sunday, I find myself missing my dad more now than right after he died.

It is the little, stupid things that I miss the most. Like coming home to find that he did some little thing around the house for me. I miss asking his advice on stuff. How to do something or having him help me fix something. Or just even going up to the restaurant down the street for dinner.

It is kinda funny. I look back and think that the last few years he was alive we went down a very similar path. We both had spouses that cheated, tried to work it out, got fed up with it and moved on. The end result for both was sorta the same Randy died and so did my dad.

I was always closer to my dad than my mom. I liked to learn how things worked and my dad liked to show me. He was by no means perfect and had his demons. He struggled most of his adult life with alcoholism and in the end that and smoking contributed to his death. And while he could drive me nuts at times, I knew that he loved me and even when he was dying he was trying to take care of me and make sure that I would be alright.

Dad, I miss you and love you and I'm doing alright. Thank you for teaching me to be the person I am.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Always hard losing someone you care about, especially when that person was someone you looked up to. I have followed your blog for several years now and although we have never met I know how hard the road has been for you at times. I think your father would be proud of you, for what you have accomplished and how bravely you have faced everything with dignity and grace. If you are a reflection of your father then he did a great job in raising you as a daughter. Wherever he is, he is smiling.