Google

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Personal Responsibility

Got back from Boomer's 3rd obedience class. Sometimes he is really good and other times, terrible. He started out well and the dogs that are in an agility class came into the building and he went ballistic. After he calmed down, he was somewhat ok the rest of the class. I'm not sure who is more tired, him or me.

With my dad in the hospital and probably not ever coming home I told my sister once again that she would have to start paying for things at the house. She was pissed about that. I asked her why should dad pay for cable, phone, etc. that he is not using. She got all huffy with me again and said that she has to pay for food and toilet paper and such. WH.. WHA.. WHAT??? Ummm, yeah, you need to also pay for the food you eat and the paper you use to wipe your ass. When My dad was living there, he wasn't eating much solid food anyway so it wasn't like he was costing her $200/week in food.

She brought up the fact that when my mom moved out, she left the dog. There are also 11 kittens in the barn (hint, if anyone wants a kitten, they are cute. I can post/send pictures) Why should she have to pay for feeding those? I told her to get rid of them then if she didn't want to pay for their food and upkeep. That made her once again angry that I would suggest that she gets rid of their pets. Her rational... the kids like them. My rational... then pay for their existence. If you can't afford them, get rid of them. I know it may be a hard decision but, hmmm... cats or food for the kids. Your choice, sis!

I guess I just don' get why some people think that they deserve something that they did not earn or work for. Why should she live there and not pay utilities and such. I have to pay for them where I live. I'm pretty sure most of you have to pay for utilities and your mortgage and such. I'll also bet that most of you also have jobs to pay for these things. She says she can't work because she has the kids to take care of. Once again, WH.. WHA.. WHAT??? Give me a freakin' break. I know there are millions of single moms who work and have kids to take care of. She is not unique.

We talked about this topic a bit this past weekend at camping. I have worked since I was 16. I payed for my own cars, insurance and once I moved out, my own rent. I had to pay for my own schooling as well. I only went to college for a year and a half. I still to this day regret not staying in school and getting a degree but sometimes there are other priorities in life.

Bottom line is I think that after my dad passes, she will find herself in a big hurt. The house will get sold and she will have to move. Maybe it is time for her to grow up and learn to stand on her own two feet for a change. She is setting a bad example for her kids. To learn the same kind of "the world owes me" kind of attitude that she has.

2 comments:

Kris said...

My uncle was a lot like your sister. He never really did have to "grow up" and until the day my grandma died she helped keep up his life style. Even when she died, him and my other uncle never helped with funeral expenses which left my mom with $6000 in debt not to mention the amount of debt my grandma left behind from having to support her deadbeat sons. And it took my uncle years to figure out. I hope your sister doesn't take as long...at least for the sake of her kids. I can only imagine the example she is giving them.

I am sending hugs and prayers your way!

AletaR said...

She is a peach!