Google

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Good Aunt

On Saturday, I took my two youngest nieces for the afternoon. The older one, S, just turned 9 the previous week. The younger one, J, turned 6 last December. I owed them both the extra special birthday presents.

I picked them up and went to drop Riley off at the groomer. We then headed out to Mayfair mall. I went over the Hoan bridge which totally freaked J out. She was almost crying she was so scared that the bridge would collapse and she would fall into the lake. I didn't want to be the one to tell her that it probably would fall down before the city/county/state gets their act together and gets the bridge replaced.

As we passed Miller Park, S remembered that Randy and I had taken her and her older sister to a Brewer game a couple years back. She remembered that Prince Fielder hit an inside the park home run and that there was some glowing balloon thingy floating in the air after the game. Never did find out what that was.

Once we got to Mayfair Mall, I parked by Barnes and Noble as I promised S that she could pick up a couple of books for her birthday as well. We headed into the mall and J was amazed at all the stores. Build a Bear is upstairs so we headed towards the escalator. J totally freaked out with that. She had never been on one before and was afraid that she would get sucked into teh moving stairs. I had to pull her aside and let her watch it for a minute or so and then told her how it works. She jumped on the step and away we went. She wouldn't let go of my hand while we went up. When we got to the top she took a leap like she was crossing the Grand Canyon. She was all excited. We got to ride it a couple more times. My sister really needs to get these kids out into public places more often.

Build a Bear was fun. The girls had a good time picking out their animals and the outfits. They wanted to get more stuff but I told them that we could come back another time and get it.

We headed to the bookstore, so S, could get some new books. She loves to read and I will do everything I can to encourage that. She was so excited that she got to pick out four new chapter books. My guess is that she has already read them by now.

On the way home we picked up Riley from the groomer and dropped him off at home. We headed to Rocky Rococo's for lunch. I forgot that Randy's brother runs the place and it was nice that he bought us lunch. It was nice to spend some time talking with him. I don't get to see him very often.

It was time to get the girls back home. I wanted to get in a nap before heading out to the Waukesha County fair to see Night Ranger. Before I left my sister's the girls came up to me gave me big hugs and said that I was their favorite aunt.

I left happy.

No comments: