Google

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Ax Has Fallen

Today was the day I knew was coming last week. It is always nice to have a heads up for these kinds of days. It is never nice to know that people you have worked with for the past nine years no longer have a job.

We lost one guy from our team. That was no surprise. If you have read previous posts, you will see my crabbing about him. He wasn't happy with the job and we were not happy with his work. Sucky thing is that I spent Friday doing the on-call schedule for next quarter. I now have to re-do it and take him out.

Overall, I think about 150 people were let go across the country. There were several people who I really like that were let go. Three of them from my building had more than 25 years each with the bank. That is a hard thing to take. One woman who I was close to, kept asking "why, why her?" I talked to her manager after work and she said that was the hardest thing she has ever done. How do you tell someone who has been there for 28 years (and this was her only job, ever) that they no longer have a job?!?

Our team gets the terminations when they come out. Tomorrow I should get a more comprehensive list of who was let go. I'm afraid to see it.

I'm glad that I did not buy bagels on my way in this morning to celebrate my birthday (which is Friday!). Not a day to celebrate.

2 comments:

Kris said...

I am sorry to hear about the layoffs. My father was laid off in August after working for his company for over 10 years. And unfortunately with his age and the economy in Cleveland it is unlikely he will be reemployed anytime soon.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Scott said...

All of these layoffs are killer. It is tough stuff. Hope that you are well.